Helsinki Metropolitan Area
Helsinki Metropolitan Area is a lively region with bustling cities, small idyllic towns and wild nature. Many top-notch institutions of higher education are spread around the region. If you choose to study in the area, you might be living in one of the following cities and towns. The Helsinki Metropolitan area includes the cities of Helsinki, Espoo, Vantaa Kirkkonummi and Kauniainen.
With a single ticket you can hop aboard trams, busses, the metro and even the ferry to Suomenlinna. Single tickets can be purchased from the driver, from ticket machines or even by sending an SMS text message by mobile phone (requires a Finnish service provider).
The Travel Card provides an easy and cost-effective payment option. It is valid on all public transport in Helsinki, Espoo, Kauniainen, Vantaa, Kerava and Kirkkonummi: buses, commuter trains, the Metro, trams and the Suomenlinna ferry.
There are two types of Travel Cards, and the choice of card depends on its purpose of use:
- A personal Travel Card can only be used by the owner of the card. It is the most economical option: as the HSL area municipalities and neighboring municipalities subsidize the public transport journeys of their residents, the residents can buy Travel Card season tickets that are cheaper than general or multi-user season tickets.
- A multi-user Travel Card is well-suited for joint use, for example, for companies and families as well as for residents of other municipalities. A multi-user Travel Card can be used by anyone holding the card who belongs to the same customer group.
Season ticket and value on the same card
You can either travel with a season ticket loaded on your card or pay your fare with value, i.e. money loaded on it. Loading a season ticket is recommended if you use public transport regularly, for example for commuting.
Loading value is a good option for occasional users of public transport. Value tickets bought with a Travel Card are cheaper than single tickets bought from the driver or conductor.
Sights of interest
The Capital of Finland offers lots to see, do and experience for visitors of all ages. Here are just a few examples of the most popular attractions.
- Esplanade Park
- Helsinki Cathedral
- Senate Square
- Seurasaari Open-Air Museum
- Sibelius Monument
- Temppeliaukio Church (Rock Church)
- Uspenski Orthodox Cathedral
- Nuuksio National Park